Time Synchronization Module
- New - 1756HP-TIME module Firmware 3.002 released.
- Support for External GPS, high-accuracy Trimble units.
- New - Time Series B module released
New features include:
- PTP synchronization over the backplane. No Ethernet cables required to synchronize local Ethernet cards or Controllers.
- Upload EDS from the device in RSLinx.
- New Trimble unit with better satellite tracking and faster lock.
- ControlFlash used to flash the module instead of HSFlash.
- New Advanced tab in the AOP.
Time Series A module
The 1756HP-TIME module contains an onboard GPS receiver leveraging the accuracy of the GPS satellite atomic clocks. It hosts dual Ethernet ports for direct Ethernet time synchronization using NTP (Network Time Protocol) and PTP (Precision Time Protocol) where the modules act as a Time Grandmasters.
- Internal GPS Receiver
- PTP - Precision Time Protocol - New - Sync to External PTP with Firmware V2.03
- NTP - Network Time Protocol
- IRIG-B Input / Output (Modulated Only)
- Dual Port Ethernet - Embedded Switch
- DLR - Device Level Ring
- Web Interface (Info Only)
- Add-on Profile(AOP) - Requires Firmware v2.0 or higher.
Firmware revision 2 now supports the 1756HP-TIME AOP. This will allow the user to easily configure the TIME module as well as use advanced diagnostics which includes satellite signal strength and satellite position.
The new firmware and AOP can be downloaded from Right Hand Menu
Network Time Protocol can be used to synchronize HMI PCs without the need for any additional software.
Precision Time Protocol (1588 PTP) is recommended for the control layer where a precision of 250ns with respect to UTC (Universal Coordinate Time) can be achieved in certain network topologies.
Embedded Ethernet Switch
The modules feature EtherNet/IP Embedded Switch Technologies allowing Linear Network and Device Level Ring Ethernet topologies.
For legacy systems modulated IRIG-B (B-122) is supported. The module can be configured to either transmit or receive IRIG-B.
The module also provides GPS position in XYZ Cartesian ECEF (Earth Centered, Earth Fixed) and LLA (latitude, longitude and altitude). Velocity (m/s) is also provided in XYZ Cartesian ECEFand ENU (East-North-UP). When using an external GPS receiver the module can provide sub-centimeter position precision.